The new breed of school?

This link via Stephen Downes to a new school being built in Sydney, Australia. A school that has completely adopted Web 2.0 technology, done away with things like classroom walls and totally revamped timetables.

I think many will be astonished to learn that this brave step is being undertaken by the Catholic Church – most would have expected such innovation from far more New Age organisations.

Of course there is no way of knowing in advance whether this kind of school will work – time will tell. I’m not sure to what extent the very young students get to be in the driver’s seat, and that is an area in which I harbour some doubts. Among older learners who have acquired the necessary skills and self-discipline, many will probably thrive on it, but I suspect it will better suit the more able learner. I worry a bit about the less able who require more intensive attention.

It will be interesting to see how they handle activities that need groups of people in one place at one time: team sports, PE, music ensembles, etc. I’d also be interested to hear how they will approach accreditation and curriculum (if at all, of course!).
I would love to be given the opportunity to try this course (MA Education) in this manner though! In a way, I think I already do that, while also accommodating the more traditional approach offered by the university. However, I don’t know that my course leaders are in a position to credit the work I do online if it doesn’t make an overt appearance in my submitted papers.